Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The next time I shoot you, it won't be digitally. Unless I hit you in the finger and then we'll have a big laugh about it

M is for Mustard, that’s good enough for me.

Happy week after turkey day. Hope everyone went out and ate much more than was healthy for them. I know I did. It was good to see the family and Erin was introduced to our family tradition of yard football on Thanksgiving day. It used to be so much more fun to cover my brother before he grew 5 inches taller than me. Now it just causes me to be in extreme pain the next day. Our team was triumphantly taking down Erin’s when my little cousin going out for the game winning touchdown pass was chop blocked by a flower pot and ended up taking a nasty spill on the porch steps. That kinda killed the game quickly. But at least he’ll have a good story to tell.

So my blood pressure is still slowly settling from that ND game. Fiesta bowl here we come. Let all the ND bashing commence for them “not deserving” to get a bowl game. Life’s a bitch until the BCS works for you.

Good freakin’ gravy this was not my week for kickers. First Fitzpatrick misses an extra point and two field goals forcing Quinn to show his stuff and take the team down the field for a touchdown with under two minutes to go. Then the Giants lose in overtime to the Seahawks after Feely misses three freakin’ field goals at the end of regulation and overtime. What the hell man?

Well the Mets are making some hardcore moves. Piazza and Looper gone. Delgado and Wagner in. Bring in Molina as catcher and this team should suddenly jump to one of the favorites in the NL East.

Caught Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (midnight shows are all sorts of fun until work the next morning). I enjoyed it, probably more than the first 2 as far as the movies go. Yeah, there are a lot of glaring omissions from the book but then that’s how things are going to be for all the future movies. You just can’t fully adapt 700 page books to 2 hour movies without cutting a lot. The positive points though were the actors are really getting good at what they do. Daniel Radcliffe most especially had several scenes where I just noticed his acting ability has grown from kid trying his best to real full blown actor. Ray Fiennes, holy crap did he nail Voldemort. He plays him as subdued and menacing rather than over the top villainy and it’s excellent. The style of the movie falls somewhere in between the first 2nd and the 3rd one. Not quite as stylized as Prisoner of Azkaban but also not as playing it safe as the first two. The more I watch the first two and then can compare them to the later ones, the less they hold up. I’m not saying I don’t like them, I’m just saying they don’t age as well. Sorcerer’s Stone has that magic of wow, they didn’t screw this up and Chamber of Secrets was made more interesting than the book. But as you watch them they just seem a little vanilla compared to the 2nd two (and yes, the books are better but that’s just about always the case). I’m very interested to see how things go in the next one with relatively unknown (at least in the States) David Yates at the helm.

Slooooowly catching up with TV shows. Almost done with Prison Break which I just can’t help but get sucked into. It’s very 24-esque in that it’s completely preposterous that so many things could just fall so perfectly into place but damn if it’s not entertaining. Also need to catch the final episode of Rome. I love that whole period of ancient Roman history and they really do a great job of bringing it to life while adding a little soapiness to it all. Hell, it’s better than Gladiator (someone still wanna tell me how that won best picture?).

Also on DVD I’m plunging through OC Season 1 and Scrubs Season 2 while managing to add Entourage and Arrested Development Seasons 1 to the queue. And while I do all this, I like to whistle a jaunty tune.

News and notes:

New Years weekend begins one month from now. Get ready for some insanity.

Strip updates back on track.

Producers on Broadway was a great time though I personally still prefer the original Zero Mostel/Gene Wilder movie. But I can’t help but be intrigued by Will Ferrell playing Franz Liebkind in the new movie.

No I didn’t not go buy an Xbox 360. I’m not the kind of guy who rushes out and buys every new technology the second it comes out… especially when the price will drop a good hundred dollars in a few months when PS3 comes out.

Until next time:

“They never invited their priest over to try to talk you out of having sex.”

”Five times! And on the last one they triple teamed me with a Priest, a Rabbi, and a Morman Missionary. I made so many jokes that night I should have had a microphone and a brick wall behind me.”

No comments: