Wednesday, January 17, 2007

For the last couple of months I have been adrift in a sea of puppy dogs, lollypops and let's face it, mediocre metaphors.

Mustard: If not now, when?

So Terence Stamp and the Rock have been cast in the upcoming Get Smart movie? That deserves a “frakkin’ awesome” label. First off, I love Get Smart. My childhood contained an unknown number of nights watching Don Adams’ brilliance on Nick-at-Nite. So when they cast Steve Carell as the lead, it was like the curtain dropped in front of the chorus singing Hallelujah. They couldn’t have picked a better actor to fill Adams’ shoes. Anne Hathaway as Agent 99 is a great fit but come on, Terence Stamp as the villain? Boom baby!

So the iPhone huh? Well it looks great but no way in hell am I switching carriers and paying that much money in order to get it. Yeah, I know, you get your iPod and phone all in one but honestly, I don’t really care that much. However the good news is that this means they’re almost certain to release a new widescreen iPod only device in the next 6 months or so. Now that is going to be pretty sweet.

This will be the last time I mention this (until perhaps the Oscars in which case I’ll be extremely pissed) but what the hell people? Meryl Streep does NOT deserve an award for the freakin’ Devil Wears Prada. The movie was shit and she didn’t “shine” or do anything else but a bad Cruella Deville impression. I don’t care that it’s Meryl Streep. Stop giving people awards just because of who they are and give them to people who actually deserve it. Thank you.

Do yourself a favor and go get the The Crane Wife, the new album by the Decemberists. It’s outstanding. And I would note that the Crane Wife #3 which has been playing the past week on this site was just played on last week’s Scrubs. I’m ahead of the curve.

Caught Pan’s Labyrinth this weekend. What a good movie. Most of America won’t see it as it’s a foreign movie and who wants to read subtitles but if you appreciate movies that are done well in almost every aspect, you owe it to yourself to catch this one. It’s definitely up there for most beautifully shot movie this year and outstanding movie score. With this movie Guillermo Del Toro is making a statement that he is a filmmaker to watch. I may have enjoyed Hellboy but I recognize it for the fun popcorn movie it is. This movie is dead serious, unflinching in it’s depiction of the brutal end days of the Spanish Civil War and even it’s more fanciful fairytale escapism parts. Strange bedfellows? Absolutely but it’s originality works and if this movie was in English I guarantee you we’d hear it’s title being announced with the other Oscar Best Picture nominees. As such we’ll absolutely hear it during the Foreign Picture nominees and I can’t think of many arguments as to why it shouldn’t win.

News and notes:

So can I tell you how great I find it that Scrubs has become the most widely syndicated show on TV? I swear, it’s on at least 6 times a day. It’s fantastic.

Speaking of Scrubs, tune in tomorrow night for the Scrubs musical. If “Guy Love” is any indication this could be the greatest musical since Buffy.

Zelda makes me happy.

Darius Walker is leaving and with him goes the last of Notre Dame’s dependable offense. Next season is gonna be fun.

Until next time:

“Hi, cutie! Since you have so many balls, and too many toys can be over-stimulating for an infant, Brantley here was wondering if he could borrow one to play with!”

“Oh, that's funny, because Jack here was just wondering why the crazy lady who just spent the last hour chain smoking and talking on her cell phone while her kid ate sand would come over to two complete strangers and give them parenting advice!”

“Oh, oh! He also thanked me for not naming him "Brantley"!”

No comments: