Friday, March 10, 2006

I'm gonna double-kill you! Then I'll bury you in a shallow grave! Then I'll dig you up and kill you again! THAT'S the beauty of a shallow grave!

Hello Mustard, Come into my life…

Little bastardized Super Furry Animals for you there. Hope you enjoyed it.

Alright, so we are done with the Oscars and for those of you keeping score at home: Martin Scorsese, 0 Oscars. 3-6 Mafia: 1. I love Jon Stewart. Best Oscar host in years. That ad-lib alone should get him back next year. So what did I think of the awards? Unless you count Crash as the HUGE SURPRISING UPSET that about 50% of the population were predicting, they pretty much went by the book. Also did anyone else notice they got the entire frat pack up there to present with lone exception of Vince Vaughn? Ben Stiller is a very strange man.

So, the Oscars are over which means it’s time to look forward to the summer movie season and so I proudly present the return of:

Jeff’s Top 5 Most Anticipated Summer Movies:
(in order of release)

V for Vendetta – So how take make me really look forward to a movie: Take a great Alan Moore graphic novel. Add the in Matrix’s Wachowski brothers (doesn’t matter what you thought of the sequels, they looked damned great). Cast Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving. Commence drooling.

X-men 3 – So yeah, instead of Bryan Singer, we ended up with Brett Ratner. Yep, that’s a rather large step down. And there has been some questionable pictures sent out (with Colossus looking like a Halloween costume and Vinnie Jones looking a little stupid in that muscle suit. The jury is still out on the look of Beast). So why go see it? Great casting (Kelsey Grammar is perfect for Beast and Vinnie Jones, despite looking like crap, is the perfect attitude for Juggarnaut). And it’s still got Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan. As long as those two are still in an X-men movie, I’ll go see it. (PS, yes, for those of you in the know or who paid attention to the trailers, I get the irony of that comment).

Cars – Yeah, the first trailer didn’t do much for me but I think that’s really just Pixar building a slow buzz. I think the final one will be much better and if nothing else, it’s Pixar. They haven’t missed yet and until they do, I’ll go to anything they put out.

Superman Returns – Bryan Singer doing Superman? Yep, I’m there. So Brandon Routh isn’t Christopher Reeves. No one will ever top Christopher Reeves. I’ve come to grips with that. But come on, it’s Bryan Singer doing Superman. That’s gonna be great.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest – Because the first movie was the biggest surprise I’ve had at a movie in a very long time. I mean I went into it with low expectations but damn, was I blown away. Now my expectations for this are a helluva lot higher but Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow is always entertaining and I love the look of the film. By the way, great job for spoiling the ending of the movie Wikipedia. Then again, I guess it’s tough to give the synopsis of the 3rd one without spoiling this one.

Honorable mentions:

Mission Impossible III: Why? Cause it’s JJ Abrams and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I don’t care of Tom Cruise dies 2 minutes into the movie. In fact, that may help a little.

A Scanner Darkly: Why? Richard Linkletter doing an “animated movie” (which if you’ve seen Waking Life, you know what that entails) based on a Philip K Dick movie equals quality sci-fi entertainment.

Da Vinci Code: Why? Cause the cast astounds me even if Tom Hanks is horribly cast and needs to cut that hair. It doesn’t make him look younger, just really really creepy.


News and Notes:

Oh my God! You killed Edgar! You bastards! So I’m a little pissed at 24. Of all the people to kill off, Edgar? Not to mention oh look, Tony is back on his feet a whole 7 hours after being BLOWN UP! So why do I keep watching this show? Simple: They brought in Peter Effing-“Robocop” Weller!!! That right there is enough to make me watch it this year AND next. In fact I think next year should be all about him. I mean come on, Peter Weller or Kiefer Sutherland? Is it even a question?

A new book is coming out alleging Barry Bonds took performance enhancing drugs. Ya think?

http://eavesdropdc.blogspot.com – it’s gonna be huge.

Until next time:

“JD, I really don't wanna do this. Can't we just go home, and put on our PJs and watch "Grey's Anatomy"?”

“Oh, I do love that show. It's like they've been watching our lives and just put it on TV.”

No comments: