Monday, February 07, 2005

In My Plan We Are Beltless

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Mustard! Another week, another blog. Who’da thunk?

So Super Bowl XXXIX = boring! And I’m not even talking about the commercials or half time show. That had to be one of the sloppiest football games I’ve seen since the Notre Dame season ended. McNabb who I was touting high praise for came off as an amateur throwing 3 (really 4) interceptions and managed to show his ability to scramble a grand total of once. And that fearsome Pats’ offense seemed to be on autopilot as at least a fumble is more exciting than 3 and out for the first half of the game. And what the hell were the Eagles doing those last 6 minutes. You’re down by 10 and yet have been steadily moving down the field, maybe you should, I don't know, not go to the huddle every play! It’s called time management people! T.O. had a great game but don’t turn him into some sort of higher being. They played him safe, not giving him a lot of passes and every one he got was to the outside so he could get out of bounds and not take a huge hit.

The commercials… good gravy! Talk about uninspired. I know they have this whole FCC crackdown on salacious content but that doesn’t mean you have to completely screw the pooch on comedy. It’s like on the Simpsons when Homer gives up beer and sits confounded at a baseball game going “I never realized how boring this game really is”. And you’ll notice the only relatively funny ones were the dark comedy bits like the one with the guy and his cat in the kitchen or the “hold up” at the convenient store. We can’t have anything involving sex but violence… that’s just fine.

I didn’t have a problem with the halftime show. Granted I spent most of it trying to load the homestarrunner.com halftime show (which apparently half the web was trying to do cause it never loaded). But you know what, I’d rather have Paul McCartney come out and sing a couple good songs than have the usual ADD halftime where 4 or 5 pop stars come out and lip sync 30 seconds of a crappy song while some crazy dance choreography goes on and half the audience leaves for the restrooms. I also liked the stage setup with the video screens on the ramps.

But it was good company last night and while I have way too much pizza left over, I successfully managed to sneak in a martini during halftime. Line of the night goes to Courtney:

(While Alicia Keyes and School for the Deaf and Blind are doing America the Beautiful)
Erin: Well the deaf kids are at least signing America the Beautiful but what are the blind kids doing?
Courtney: They’re just standing there, looking around.

If you caught the Simpsons afterwards: They gave Comic Book Guy a name! No way! From now on he’s: Jeff Albertson. I like the fact that they threw that in there as a total nugget for the fans.

I also caught American Dad, the latest from Family Guy creator Seth McFarlene. I have to say, I wasn’t too impressed. There were a LOT of jokes that totally fell flat and it didn’t help that they basically have the same family dynamic as the Griffins. Also the lack of character development for half the cast didn’t help. I mean the goldfish had a brain transplant with a German skier? Ok… but they didn’t go any farther than that. Just hey, there’s a goldfish with a German accent. The alien has some potential to be pretty funny but I don’t know. The show could still develop. God knows anyone watching the first episode of the Simpsons wouldn’t have exactly been wowed. So who knows, I’ll give it a chance but at the point I’m much more looking forward to the return of the Family Guy May 1st.

I’ve finished watching the Buffy Season 7 DVD and while I had seen the last episode before, it still was kinda sad knowing that’s the end of Buffy and there won’t be anymore seasons to look forward to being released on DVD. Even worse is that Season 5 of Angel comes out next week and that‘ll be the final season of the Buffyverse. Damn you WB!

The big move begins this upcoming weekend so I’m not sure how long my downtime will be with the blog and strip. Hopefully not too long but if no updates happen for a week or so… tough! You’ll get your updates when I’m damn good and ready to give them. Not that I’m bitter of course. I feel kinda special when I get people bugging me to update the strip. At least I know people are reading it. Ok, until next time gringos y gringas:

"What are you talking about? "
"Never mind, eat the fruit. "
"You know, this place almost looks like the Garden of Eden. "
"Eat the fruit. "
"Sounds quite like it too."

No comments: