Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident!

Greetings all you fancy pants Changs. Welcome back to the Mustard. Hope all is going well with you crazy cats. Life in this place continues on as it has. Currently figuring out photographers and apartments. In that order too.

Episode III of the strip: Up and running. Get it, read it, love it, point out the errors in grammar and panel continuity I’ve made.

So I lost out on pretty much every team I went for in the NFL playoffs. Colts – out. Steelers – out. So go Eagles. It was just harsh that both those teams went out without much of a fight.

The Oscar noms are out. I can’t really say too much about them right now as I’ve yet to see any of the best picture nominations. It doesn’t look like a bad list but it’s a pretty safe one with few surprises though some surprising omissions. A big one was Paul Giamatti not picking up a best actor nom for Sideways. From everything I heard it looked like it was gonna be a big race between him and Jamie Foxx. Instead they toss Clint Eastwood in. When push comes to shove the Oscars always toss in dramatic performances over comedy.

Also Foxx got nominated both for Lead and Supporting Actor. Now this is totally the Academy saying hey, wouldn’t it be cool if we nominated him for both awards? I’ve heard he was good in Collateral but I’m sure there are a lot more actors who should’ve gotten the nom ahead of him.

Kate Winslet picked up a Lead Actress nom for Eternal Sunshine but what about Jim Carrey? He was fantastic. And thank God Eternal Sunshine picked up an Original Screenplay nod or you would’ve seen the biggest rant I’ve ever posted.

I love that the Incredibles picked up an Original Screenplay nomination. It really was a fantastic script and even though it doesn’t have a prayer of winning, the nomination lends more legitimacy to it as a “real” movie rather than an animated feature which is always treated as joke by the awards. I mean hell, Shark Tale picked up an animated feature nom and that movie was almost universally reviled.

A HUGE omission in best visual effects by leaving out Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I mean what the hell? All three of the nominated movies (Harry Potter 3, Spider-man 2, I, Robot) had good effects but nothing groundbreaking. But Sky Captain, despite its critical claim (well deserved I might add, that was kickass movie), didn’t make enough money and therefore gets forgotten. For the most part best visual effects noms go to the biggest blockbusters (Star Wars prequels, LOTR, Pirates of the Carribean, etc). If you’re not super high profile summer fare for the most part, you get left out.

So I’ll post later before the Oscars my real opinions on the nominees once I see more of them but as I said, doesn’t look like a bad list just safe. And I think Martin Scorsese might finally get his win. Right now he’s the Dan Marino (or Peyton Manning) of the directing world. He’s given us some of film history’s best movies but has never won himself. So now that Peter Jackson has finally stopped hogging all the spotlight (until next year when he brings out King Kong which from all I’ve heard is going to blow people away), Scorsese should finally get his statue.

Alright crew, final plugs: Episode III. Erin’s blog (I’m hoping if I plug it, she’ll update it). Booter’s blog (same deal, one post? come on man!) Crowley’s blog (it makes me smile). Wow, I’ve gotten three people to start up their own blogs. I’m proud. And for the most part they actually have a point to theirs whereas mine, it’s just me ranting and raving and being me.

Until next time personas calientes:

“From now on there are three ways of doing things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way.”
”Isn't that just the wrong way?”
”Yes, but faster!”

2 comments:

Jeff said...

please note i wrote that part of the blog before Booter posted on monday. also note: Booter sucks. a lot.

also no garden state rant because 1) I knew it was never gonna get anything. 2) I'm still planning on ranting about it when i do my oscar post later next month.

DCrowley said...

Dude, the redux reference alone... nice. I don't know if you can really call what I've got going a blog, but I can live with it. Plus, if people from your job ever see your blog they'll see what kind of a person you truly are, instead of the hip urban professional appearance you strive for (and don't try to deny it, you shop at Ikea. Ok, yes, I went there once. Maybe thrice. And I browse through the catalog every so often. You know what? You can all eat me, and I don't care if you have forgotten that this is still technically a parenthetical aside).