Thursday, January 26, 2006

Inflatable-Five!

I’ve got a fever and the only prescription is more Mustard!

So another week come and gone and January is almost over. Thank God. I mean does anyone really like January? It starts off bad right from the bat as you spend the first day recovering from a hangover you earned closing out December. And though Martin Luther King Day is a nice holiday and everything, you usually don’t go nuts celebrating it (unless you’re Lauren and throw a party. And it was a mighty fine party let me add). But other than that it’s a month of crappy weather, no real fun holidays, usually not much else to go on. I’m depressing myself just thinking about it. Anyways…

So wow, Disney bought Pixar and Steve Jobs just simultaneously landed on Disney’s board and gave one more middle finger to Bill Gates on his quest to take over the world. Seriously, at this rate we’re headed for an apocalyptic showdown between Jobs and the ever expanding Google over the fate of the planet. This is pretty cool though as maybe Disney can become the kind of company people give a crap about again. Also the fact that Mr. Pixar himself, John Lasseter is going to be both Chief Creative Officer of the animation studios as well Principal Creative Advisor (aka new theme ride creator) is hope to be a little more optimistic about the future of the company that thought “Home on the Range” looked like a surefire winner.

And where the hell did the merging of UPN and the WB come from? And what does that mean for a lot of shows on those networks? Granted, aside from Veronica Mar and from, what I’ve heard, Everybody Hates Chris, the UPN hasn’t really put out anything halfway decent since Buffy moved there halfway through the series. But it will make for interesting matchups. Honestly, a Gilmore Girls/Veronica Mars night? Best night of TV ever! True, that might possibly interfere with Scrubs, but let’s face it the way NBC works, Scrubs won’t come back til halfway through the season. Stupid NBC.

Finally saw the 40-Year Old Virgin. Honestly, I was a little disappointed. I mean I enjoyed it and it had some pretty funny moments (Age of Aquarius? So random. So hilarious.) but I don’t know. Maybe it was just a little over-hyped. I might also enjoy it more with subsequent viewings as with Anchorman which I was also very disappointed after seeing it the first time but which I enjoyed much more having seen it a couple more times.

Also caught Memoirs of Geisha. Beautifully shot movie. Great score by John Williams. Good performances. Quite frankly, it just didn’t do it for me. I mean it just seemed to move a little slowly. And the super terrific happy ending didn’t exactly thrill me. I mean I don’t need to have every movie end in tragedy but this just seemed a contrivance to make everyone happy. I’ve never read the book so I can’t comment on the source material, but this just wasn’t the greatest movie I’ve ever seen.

News and Notes:

100th episode of Scrubs = awesome. Making Toto role in the Wizard of Oz to be the band Toto was comedic genius. 101st episode of Scrubs = Ostriches are freaking hilarious.

Strip – still going. Seriously, we’re heading towards the end and I just don’t know what I’ll do with all my time. *tear*

I saw March of the Penguins. Other than “penguins are cute” and Morgan Freeman narrating, I do not see the draw here.

I’m caught up to of all my shows! Yay me! Also starting watching Season 2 of Entourage. Ralph Macchio cameo was brilliant!

Oscar nom come out next Tuesday. Expect the next blog post to rant.

Until next time:

“I just want to say something nice about him that's actually true!”

“You go do that and I'll go, find God, quit drinking, get in touch with myself emotionally and we'll meet right back here at half past impossible.”

No comments: