Friday, March 04, 2005

Awesome Awesome Fancy Danish

Another week, another Mustard post.

No real big surprises at the Oscars this year. I enjoyed Chris Rock as host although with the exception of the opening monologue he didn’t really do anything. Though I did think it a breathe of fresh air that he didn’t sit there and kiss everyone’s ass in the place. Yeah, some of the jokes may have come off mean, but I mean, come on, it’s freakin’ Chris Rock. That was tame compared to his usual stuff. The part where he interviewed people at the theater was great especially when Albert Brooks (Simpson’s fans know him as Hank Scorpio among other guest roles) suddenly showed up.

As a note: I did catch the Aviator before the show and I pretty much stick with my choices with the lone exception of giving Cate Blanchett the Supporting Actress statue for her excellent portrayal of Katherine Hepburn.

A couple quick album reviews for you as I haven’t really done much in that department in a while. Looking back, Garden State pretty much altered my entire musical taste as since that album I’ve turned almost completely to indie artists. What can I say, Hoobastank, Kelly Clarkson and Gwen Stefani (she’s ripping off Fiddler on the Roof? what the hell?) just don’t do it for me.

So currently playing on repeat:

Jack JohnsonIn Between Dreams: The man does the best laid back, just sitting around, drinking a cold one, chilling out and relaxing music around and his new album is no different. A little more upbeat than past albums overall, listening to this just makes me look forward to hanging around the pool this summer. Highly recommended.

Jason MrazWaiting for my Rocket to Come: This album is a couple years old but it’s new to me, so there. This is a great driving CD. Upbeat, sometimes goofy, fun lyrics, it’s just the kind of music you need to keep you awake on those long car rides.

Fountain of WayneWelcome Interstate Managers: Yes, you all know the single Stacy’s Mom. What may surprise you is how eclectic this album is. It’s not all the goofy pop rock. You go from Stacy’s Mom to an Old 97’s type country-influenced alt rock on Valley Winter Song then jump to the slower, rock ballad-esque All Kinds of Time, and then you suddenly jump again to the Grateful Dead-like Hey Julie and swing around to the pure country western twang of Hung up on You and along the way throwing in traces of just about every other style imaginable. It’s not all perfect but it is a lot of fun.

Flaming LipsYoshimi Battles the Pink Robots: Ok, Brock tried to get me hooked on this back in senior year at Notre Dame but back then I wasn’t listening to indie and the title was just too strange for me. So a few years later and I took a chance. It’s a weird but also excellent album. To explain the sound think Radiohead crossed with Pink Floyd with plenty of synth and maybe you’ll get something close. In other words, you pretty much just have to go on faith and give it a try. But it the more I listen to it, the more addicting it is.

Movie notes:

Aviator: Good movie, waaaaay to long. Cut out about 45 mins and you’ve got the best picture winner. You got greedy Marty.

Constantine: Disappointing. Not good sci-fi ala Buffy and not So-God-Awful-Its-Funny ala Van Helsing. Just kinda, ok. Keanu, you’re talking too much, you know what happens when you do that. Who’s up for a Bill & Ted 3? I’m sure they guy who played Bill would be up for it as he doesn’t currently have a career.

TV notes:

Lost continuing to be excellent but come on, let’s have a little more overall story arc development. They currently have about one major thing happen per 3 episodes.

I’ve completely forsaken Joey in favor of the O.C. I know, I’m a total loser, but damnit, the show is hilarious… unlike Joey.

Scrubs still the funniest show on TV but what’s been up with all the depressing endings lately? The last 3 or 4 shows have ended on a total bummer note.

Strip: back up and chugging along. Erin, Booter, update those blogs. Crowley nice work with the art class section.

Until next time:

“I totally get it. Older ladies know how to work it!”

“Okay, see, now you're in a bit of a pickle because the older lady you're talking about better not be me, and it sure as hell better not be somebody else. So whatta you have to say?”

“Your favorite jeans are too tight and they look ridiculous!”

“What!?”

“Well, I'm in trouble anyway and it needed to be said!”

No comments: