Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Let he who is without sin kick the first ass!

Ah, the Family Guy is back and as offensive and irreverent as ever. The Passion of the Christ 2 spoof was hilarious. And Ollie the weatherman is back: He gonna get it!


To say things have been busy lately is an understatement akin to saying I wasn’t all the surprised when Britney Spears announced she was pregnant.

Well, new Family Guy episodes are something to look forward to as we head into finale season. Lost is back after a great cliffhanger and no one has any idea where the hell they’re going with any of this. And I couldn’t be happier.

Now onto my review of the second on my top 5 anticipated summer movies list:

THE HITCHIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY:
From what I read people are pretty split on this movie. Non-fans either loved the zaniness of it all or just didn’t get it. Fans either loved the reverence given to Douglas’ works or hated the changes made. Personally, I loved it. I won’t say much that hasn’t already been said in other favorable reviews. The casting is great. Sam Rockwell is just insane and is one of my favorite actors today. Martin Freeman is the perfect Arthur Dent. Mos Def brings the subtleness to Ford found in the books. Zooey Deschanel is good as Trillian though I always thought she was a little less happy-go-lucky in the books than she’s portrayed in the movie. Marvin is great and Alan Rickman could not have been a more perfect choice to voice him. Supporting cast members also do a superb job. The opening musical number (yes, musical number) was the perfect way to kick off the movie and show just how crazy this movie is gonna be. I was worried at how they were going to supply all the narrative background which provides some of the funniest moments in the books but those fears were put to rest as the Guide itself is used to supply this information in a voiceover. And let me tell you, the Guide might be the funniest part of the whole movie. The fact that they kept the whale and petunias scene from the book made me so happy especially with the Guide narrating the petunia’s thoughts. And the Vogon bureaucracy was hilarious. The spoof on attempting a gun blazin’ jailbreak only to be reduced to filling out forms was just great. There were two issues I had with the movie. One was the romantic subplot added between Arthur and Trillian. That reeked too much of Disney interference and just didn’t not need to be in there. Not every movie needs bloody romance in it! Second was that there were too many open ends which probably were left in for the sequels that I do sincerely hope they make. But I’m not a fan of doing things like that unless they specifically say that this is part of one of a larger movie ala Lord of the Rings. And I’m not talking about small characters saying something cryptic that will be answered in another film. I’m talking whole big scenes in the movie that just don’t get resolved (as in the entire reason John Malkovich is even in the movie). But those quibbles aside, I laughed my ass off at this movie and while I may be a fan of the books, I think anyone who enjoys quirky, off the wall yet still halfway intelligent humor will enjoy this movie.

Next up: Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith
(please don’t suck, please don’t suck, please done suck.)

News and notes:

Snuck in a few random updates to the strip to make up for the week I took off.

Finally finished KOTOR so I can have my life back again. I even beat Crowley to it though me sabotaging his hard drive might have had something to do with it. Mwa ha ha!

Now there’s the second one to attend to… damn!

Alright all, until next time:

"Mr. Simpson, how do you respond to the charges that petty vandalism such as graffiti is down eighty percent, while heavy sack-beatings are up a shocking nine hundred percent?"

"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forty percent of all people know that."


"I see. Well, what do you say to the accusation that your group has been causing more crimes than it's been preventing?"


"Oh, Kent, I'd be lying if I said my men weren't committing crimes."


"...Touche'."

  


No comments: