Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I wonder what the Shroud of Turin tastes like.

No man, just the Mustard, the Mustard!

Been a long week folks but all kinds of things on the horizon. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. The weather is officially hitting springtime levels which is nice but it will lead inexorably into summer weather which is where I start to show that I grew up in the north and have no tolerance to heat and humidity.

I just have to say one thing: Enough with the bleepin’ Red Sox already. You won. I’m really happy for you. Seriously I am. But I’ve had enough of this overly drawn out victory celebration. Congrats, you won the World Series. You should have! With that team? Hell, the Marlins had more reason to celebrate when they won in ’04. They were a team no one gave a chance and the blew pasted the same hated Yankees you did last year except the Marlin’s salary was a helluva lot less then what the Sox did it with. Yes, you won for the first time in 86 years. Do you realize that the Chicago Cubs have not won a World Series since 1908. 1908!!! If they don’t win in the next 3 years it’ll be a century since their last title. They haven’t even been in a World Series since 1945! 60 years since even playing for the title! The last played in the World Series the same year WWII ended! Now that is a long history of failure.

To be fair I don’t entirely blame Red Sox fans for keeping this endless trend going. Major League Baseball is milking it for all it’s worth. Have you seen the Red Sox/Yankee schedules this year? Let’s see when they play each other: First game of the season. Opening day in both Yankee stadium and Fenway. Memorial Day weekend. First game after the all-star break. And oh look twice in September including the last series of the season. Good lord, I get it. They’re rivals! They’re your two highest profile teams. But right now they both have only one win more than the Mets and if you’ve been paying attention to the Mets season so far that ain’t a good thing. So do everyone a favor and let the whole die down just a little. It’s gonna be a good year for baseball. Hopefully my Mets will learn how not to blow a save. And you know what? We can pick up this over hyped rivalry at the end of the year if and only if both are in contention for the playoffs.

Ok, that’s my baseball rant. Thanks for your time.

Movie Review:

Fever Pitch – yeah, so continuing with the Red Sox…. I’ll be honest, I laughed at the movie. It’s a cute, inoffensive romantic comedy. Jimmy Fallon didn’t piss me off so that in and of itself was surprising. I still stand by my opinion that if you eliminated a few of the Red Sox insider jokes, this movie could’ve been about any sports fan (which technically is true as this movie is actually an American remake of a British movie). The thing that makes it work is that deep down it’s about the fundamental differences between men and women. Yes, using the sports metaphor to represent men is a bit cliché but at the same time, it works. Special note: when Jimmy Fallon misses the huge come from behind victory because he was out at Drew Barrymore’s friend’s party and goes off on her (the point where all the women are supposed to be like, he’s such a dick, it’s only a game!), Erin leans over to me and whispers: “Yeah, I’d be pissed if I missed that game too!” This is why I love her folks.

News and Notes:

After getting Crowley hooked on it, I’m now hooked on the first Knights of the Old Republic game for PC. It’s addicting damnit!

Episode 4 of the strip is coming along. Still continuing the standard Monday uploads with random chapters put up on other days as I get to them.

Veronica Mars renewed for next year. No one watches it but me I know, but it’s a good show people!

Please please please let them renew Arrested Development! Awesome Zach Braff cameo last week.

Somewhat surprised to see Malcolm in the Middle get renewed for next year. I mean the show has actually been excellent this year. Far better than the past couple years. I just didn’t think it was enough of a ratings pull. Who knew?

Why in the hell is the new commercial for Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy portraying the movie as a sci-fi action/adventure? It’s a friggin’ comedy! Is the marketing department for Disney that stu- oh wait, it’s Disney. Yes.

Alright all, until next time:

“Yes, baby, Molly is attractive. But she doesn't hold a candle to my Puerto Rican princess!”

“For the last time, Turk: I'm Dominican!”

No comments: