Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Dear Mr. President, There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. P.S. I am not a crackpot

Hididily-ho Mustarinos.

Quick lil’ update today as things have been ridiculous lately and I have time for nothing these days.

To quote the illustrious Doc Brown: Great Scott! The Mets have gone from 0-5 to 7-7. Where the hell did this come from? Not that I’m complaining. And to show how tough their division is, they’re the only division in Major League Baseball right now that does not have a single team with a losing record. And how bout them Nationals? Granted we’re less than a month into the season but they’ve had one hell of an April. Was Montreal really that bad?

Movie Review:

Sin City – Well about time seeing as how it’s been out three weeks and I listed it as one of my top 5 most anticipated movies. So how’d I like it? This movie will be playing next fall in every male college dorm DVD player all the time. It’s a movie you’ll put on at 3 in the morning cause what the hell, nothing like a little blood and carnage at that time of night. I enjoyed the hell out of this movie but it’s not for everyone. And for all those comparisons to Kill Bill violence, trust me, this goes a full three steps beyond that benchmark. This is a savage comic book gone wild. Yeah, sure Kill Bill had a scene where Uma Thurman slices through an army of sword wielding Yakuza. But it was played very over the top. This movie has that over the top violence sure, but not all the time. A lot of the time it’s visceral, gritty and as realistic as death by swastika throwing star gets. The style of this movie is amazing. These scenes are lifted shot for shot out of the graphic novels themselves and it looks fantastic. The performances are note perfect. Mickey Rourke…yeah, it’s actually him under all that makeup and man he is freaky as hell and yet almost sympathetic. Elijah Wood…good bye Frodo, hello silent psychotic killer. Clive Owen… essence of cool, Bruce Willis… awesome as the frail cop trying to do one last thing right, Benecio Del Toro… fantastically unhinged, Rosario Dawson… keep her the hell away from me, Alexis Bedel… Rory’s nowhere to be seen, Nick Stahl…evil Yellow Bastard … there’s too many great performances to comment on every single one. Powers Booth is only in the movie for about two minutes but in that minute he totally steals the show. Imagine if his Deadwood character suddenly became a Senator. So here’s what I say: this movie is a comic adaptation like you wouldn’t believe but be prepared for how violent it’s gonna be. You keep that in mind, it’s one helluva ride.

News and notes:

Scrubs – continuing to make me happy

Yeah, I know I blew my usual Monday deadline with the strip. It’s been ridiculously busy and I wanted to see Sin City. I’ll put more up soon, promise.

It’s a slow week for notes.

Until next time kiddos:

“All right, you three can go in.”

“Word.”

“You're out.”

“Oh, look, sir, please, just—“

“Baby, I got this. Don't worry about this. Listen here, man, homey here, you know, he's a little outta his mizzle, so I'm just saying, for just a little bizzle, if you let him up in this pizzle, he'll be all chizzle!”

‘You out too.”

No comments: