Wednesday, May 28, 2008

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

So why didn't anyone tell me How I Met Your Mother was so damn funny? Seriously, this is a show that takes me back to the very best years of Scrubs. Neil Patrick Harris has mined his comedic genius first discovered in Harold and Kumar to new levels and Jason Segal has a steady job. Who knew?

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - What the hell, George Lucas? 3/4 of a good Indiana Jones movie spoiled by an ending that was so overt in it's supernatural elements that I was left unable to argue with Erin when she turned to me and said "This is retarded." The whole point of Indiana Jones is that the supernatural/theological elements are left mostly unexplained. That's how I can accept the Ark of the Covenant killing/melting the faces of the Nazis. But there's nothing left ambiguous about this ending (which decided that theology was too outdated, let's go X-Files). Which is too bad because I was enjoying the hell out of myself for the first 3/4 of the movie or, what I'll term, the Spielberg parts. Good chases scenes, action, comedy all rolled into one with Harrison Ford's smirk making me forget how long ago it was he was last in big fun roles like this. Shia LaBeouf didn't really piss me off all that much and the rest of the cast does fine with what it's got. It didn't help that John Hurt is cast in another Prof. Bruttenholm role which Dwain summed up nicely after the "Space between spaces" line by stating "You know, where Hellboy lives." So I'm giving up on Lucas. Sorry, I'll go back to my original trilogies and enjoying the fun that was the 80's. Maybe I'll watch this movie on DVD and just stop once they get to the "Kingdom".

News and Notes:

Joss Whedon finally finishes up his astounding run on Astonishing X-men today. I'm actually excited for comic book. I'm a little sad.

Interesting Q&A session with Peter Jackson and Guillermo Del Toro on the Hobbit movies: http://www.wetanz.com/holics/index.php?itemid=695&catid=2#more

Ok, so the Mets won a game against the Marlins. Now let's make it 2 in a row and we're only 4.5 out. Baby steps...

Until next time:

"Miracle!"

"A pencil entered Barney's nose and you call it a miracle?"

"Do you have a better explanation for it?"

"A drunk jackass with a box of pencils?"

"A drunk jackass called God and a box of pencils called Destiny"

No comments: