Thursday, June 08, 2006

I'd make you swear on a bible, but I know how contact with Holy stuff makes your skin sizzle.

Here’s a little payback Mustard-style!

Another week, another blog, another day of weather.com predicting isolated thunderstorms. I wonder if the people there just take the summer off and set the website to display the isolated thunderstorm icon every day.

Anyways, so the NHL finals are Edmonton vs. Carolina. Not exactly the most fantastic matchup to get the ratings pouring in but for hockey fans, seeing Edmonton back in the finals is a fun sense of nostalgia. Unless of course you hate Canadians.

So I haven’t done music in forever so without further ado…

Music You Should Be Listening To:

Mike Doughty – Haughty Melodic
This guy seems to be the go-to person for TV shows these days as he’s had his songs in both Grey’s Anatomy and Veronica Mars. Looking at the World from the Bottom of a Well gets things off with a bang with a crazy wall of sound pouring over you. Doughty has an interesting lyrical delivery, something just a little off which reminds me, of all bands, Carbon Leaf. This is especially noticeable on the songs Unsingable Name and the excellent I Hear the Bells. Definitely a good car ride album.

Gomez – How We Operate
A little more low key, the album starts out nice easy with the nice violin infused Notice before moving only a step faster with See the World which you could almost see John Mayer covering on his next tour. But things really start moving with Girlshapedlovedrug which I’m still wondering how it wasn’t on the last Rhett Miller album. It’s a pretty strong album and I highly recommend it.

Sun Kil Moon – Tiny Cities
So you want the weirdest idea ever? Take Mark Kozelek, the lead man (and eventually only man) of the Red House Painters and have him play and entire acoustic album consisting of nothing but Modest Mouse covers. That’s right, crazy, blood pumping, ass kicking Modest Mouse done by a guy who gives Iron & Wine a run for most laid back artist ever. But it’s a fantastic album. All these songs are completely toned down to Red House Painter levels, meaning just soft, acoustic, singer-songwriter with a minimum of backup. It works because it gives throws the music in a different direction. Modest Mouse lyrics direct pain through anger. Kozelek drops the anger act and rather acts on the sadness behind the pain creating a whole new sound. No where is this more apparent than on his cover of the Ocean Breathes Salty. The title track is also a remarkable addition to the album that should not work but yet succeeds amazingly well.

Pavement – Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Yeah, I don’t know why but lately I’ve been getting into this album. It’s just a lot of fun. Upbeat tempos and and warbling crooning lead singer? Yeah, I’ll admit, I really am filling in the hole that exists from my desire for a new Thrills album. True their sound is exactly like the Thrills but listen to Range Life and tell me you couldn’t hear this as a new cover. Anyways, love the sound on Elevate Me Later and the piano backing on Gold Sounds.

Caught The Breakup last weekend. Here’s the deal, this isn't Wedding Crashers so don’t think you’re getting that Vince Vaughn. This has kind of an indie feel to it in that it’s not a straight up romantic comedy and it’s not a frat-pack comedy. It’s about two people just emotionally beating the hell out of each other cause neither could stand to be the “loser” in their breakup. Think War of the Roses. Don’t get me wrong, it’s got some pretty friggin hilarious moments. The supporting cast is ridiculously strong with Jason Bateman having a great scene and Jon Favreau hasn’t been this funny in I don’t know how long. I liked this movie a lot and it’s a good but not great movie. One thing is that the titular “break up” happens way too quick. The only chance we have to be emotionally invested in this couple’s relationship is in the credits as we see a photo montage of them being together. I would’ve like to know why this breakup is so painful. The major major I-effing-hate-this-crap problem I had was with the ending. Some studio executive should be shot over this tacked on last scene which made me want to hurl something at the screen. The ending song of “I Can See Clearly Now” make no frakking sense and does not at all fit with the tone of the movie. Holy crap, you can’t treat your audience like they’re intelligent throughout the entire movie and then decide that we’re all effing morons for the very last scene. And it’s a shame because for a good little movie, this is the thing I most remember about it. And that sucks. See the movie. Plug your ears and stop watching for the last scene.

New and Notes:

Episode II commentary is now up and running. That didn’t take too long now did it? I’ll be quicker with the next. I’m finding that my intial HTML coding the first time around was abysmal so I’m having to do a lot of fixing of that as I add in the commentary.

Random I know but can someone tell me why the hell Doritos has a new commercial starring the crappy 1998 American version of Godzilla? I mean I don’t get it. It doesn’t seem to be ironic. There’s no new Godzilla movie coming out. It’s like the Doritos marketing group had no money to spend on anything current and so they dropped back to a horrendous movie from the late 90’s. WTF?

This is awesome and hilarious all at the same time: http://eepybird.com/dcm1.html

Until next time:

“Danni, we need to move on, okay? No more thinking about our exes; no more waiting for the phone to ring; no more stealing her purse just so you can return it later in the hopes that she'll be so grateful, she'll use the money recovered to buy you a drink and maybe have sex with you after.”

“Did that work?”

“I stole the wrong purse... and yes!”

No comments: