Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Dude, why eat medical supplies when you've got pudding and tater tots right here? It makes no sense!

Holy forgotten blog, Batman! The Mustard has come back?

Yeah, yeah, I know, it’s been freaking forever since I updated this thing. What can I say, I’m a busy man, doing busy things. The job has been murder lately and I’ve also wanted to get the strip out a little more often than I had been, so the blog got pushed back. But I’m back baby!

Speaking of the strip, Episode 4 is finished! Yay! Probably take a little time before the next one, seeing as how I haven’t really written it yet, but I’ll get something out soon.

Remembered Crowley’s birthday this year! Go me!

Holy crap, how crazy is the National East this year? Every team over .500! The Mets aren’t sucking! The Nats are in first frickin’ place!

I have a policy where I try to review every movie I see, regardless of what is it. So without further ado I give you my review of:

THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS

Not only did I see this movie, I saw it on opening night. Wow. Yes it’s a chick flick. No, it’s not a crappy one. So here we go, the good: I was heartened by the fact that Alexis Bledel is in it as her performances on the Gilmore Girls and Sin City have been quite entertaining. The performances in general are quite good in this movie. The four leads play their characters well and seem to really be into it. The movie itself actually deals with the different issues these girls face quite well, without sinking too much into the usual chick flick clichés. I’ve never read the books and quite frankly I never will read the books, but I have a suspicion the movie succeeds in it’s themes due mostly to the books' writing. I’ve heard they made major changes to some of the stories but the movie comes off quite well in that I never got lost on plot points due to lack of familiarity with the source material. The not so good: With some of the plotlines I was actually surprised how relatively deep and realistic they went with them, and I hoped that they would stick with it. Unfortunately, they fell into the trap at the end of feeling the need to tie up every loose end. This hurts the movie greatly in that it suffers from Return of the King syndrome with way too many endings. ROTK at least earned it as it was a 3 part epic trilogy. In this movie it just comes off as a cop out, refusting to actually allow the movie to not end everything all nice and happy. Yes, I get that it’s a chick flick but I almost believed halfway through the movie that they might finish it off without trying to make me leave the theater feeling all fuzzy. Final verdict, this isn’t gonna be something guys gather around to drink beers and watch but as far as a date movie goes, you could do far far worse *cough* Prince and Me *cough*.

Opening tonight: Batman Begins. The positive buzz on this is making me so happy. Now if only it included a scene of Batman burning an effigy of Joel Schumacher, it just might be the greatest movie ever.

Music You Should Be Listening To:

The Thrills So Much For The City

Great, low key, alt-rock with a slightly country twist, this Irish band puts together some good music. Check out One Horse Town for the album’s highlight.

Green DayAmerican Idiot

Green Day grew up and put out possibly the best album of last year. Good for them. Honestly, this is album is fantastic and while unabashedly a concept album with Green Day foregoing their typical 2 and half minute quick radio-friendly fare which may turn off some of their younger fans, this is the best thing Green Day has ever done by far. Who knew doing a very artsy album would actually improve Green Day’s sound?

News and notes:

June 22nd, I get to meet Bruce Campbell. Giggity-giggity-giggity!

Booter officially has an agent. God speed little doodle!

Scrubs Season One DVD is amazing. The show is just brilliant people! Why aren't more people watching it? Damn you NBC!

Until next time:

“The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.”

“What!?”

“Do you understand that the second you look in the mirror and you're happy with what you see, baby, you just lost the battle!”

“You should give speeches to teenage girls.”

No comments: